Bacon fun facts
Why Martin County?
- Over 150 pig farms exist in Martin County alone.
- Martin County farmers sold more than 1.7 million market pigs in 2016.
- Martin County produces 40 million pounds of bacon per year.
- $242.7 million were generated in gross income in 2016 from the sale of pigs in Martin County.
- An additional $676.8 million was generated as economic spin-off from the gross income created by pigs.
Did you know?
- Pork production creates an additional 42,000 jobs beyond farm families in Minnesota.
- A 275 pound pig yields 16 pounds of bacon.
- Preserving pork dates back to 1500 BC in China.
- In 1924, Oscar Mayer patented the first packaged, sliced bacon.
- Bacon is the top mentioned pork product on social media.
- 53% of all homes keep bacon on hand at all times.
- Americans consume an average of 17.9 pounds of bacon per year.